Wednesday, March 2, 2011

FireLight

Firelight by Sophie Jordan intrigued me with the cover. Then when I asked what it was about, my friend explained, 'I imagine by the reviews it is like Nightshade, only with Dragons.' It's been a while since I read Nightshade, but it is one of my favorites to come out last year, so I decided to give Firelight a try.
Dragons. So simple, but no one has even considered using them as main elements in stories. With the vampire and werewolf craze, you would have assumed it would be up there with the shape shifting characters.
Jacinda is a draki. She can manifest into a dragon, and her power is one that her pride hasn't seen in years: fire breathing. After a day of almost being hunted, her mother uproots her and her twin sister away from the pride. Jacinda discovers the more she is away from the mists and mountains, the harder it is to manifest and keep the draki inside her. She stumbles upon Will. Will's family are draki hunters, but Will was also the boy who let her go. She and him develop a deep connection that seems to keep her draki alive. But how can she continue to have a normal human life when the pride is after her, and the one person she falls in love with is the same one hunting her? The reason why Will and Jacinda have a gravitational pull towards one another becomes apparent in the last chapters of the book. Unexpected, but the reader finally understands how both are able to "feel" each others presence. In addition, it leaves room for many interesting scenarios for the 2nd book.
The writing is beautiful. Great imagery, and each description left me with a distinct picture in my mind. Plus, who isn't drawn in with the pretty covers? The second book, Vanish, comes out in September. I'm super excited to see what happens. And yes, this cover is pretty as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment