Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dealing with School, Life, the Usual

Books are always meant to be enjoyed and shared, but there are those that help young adults, and in some cases even adults, learn about the lessons in life. I have a select few that I have come across throughout my high school, college, and teaching career that I felt needed to be passed on.
Laurie Halse Anderson has always proven to be an author that excels at capturing the voice of young adults. I read Speak when I was a sophomore for a independent reading project. It was one of those books that truly caught my attention, especially because I went through a reading drought about that age. I was trying to figure out the secret at the end, but at the same time I was enjoying how pure and emotional Melinda felt. She was so honest and trustworthy, yet she was alone. I myself went through a period where I felt I had no friends, and I felt constantly isolated. At that time, knowing I wasn't the only one gave me such hope and comfort. The group discussions we had revolved around how bad we felt for her, but at the same time it was easy for all of us to relate to her in some way.  Plus, as the old saying goes, you never really know who your true friends are until something bad happens. The book is a great one, especially for young teenagers who are looking for a quick read.
Twisted is a book from a male perspective. Interesting enough right? He's a high school senior, so what do you think is really on his mind? Tyler is a screw-up. He was invisible, but decided he needed to stand out and make sure people remembered him. After he was arrested for graffiti, Tyler was sentenced to a summer full of unpaid manual labor with the school custodians. He returns to school for his senior year ready to be done with everything. Only, Tyler looks different and has definitely caught the eye of his dream girl, Bethany. The problem is: Bethany's twin brother, Chip, has been tormenting Tyler for years. Tyler is invited to a party, and things start to get hot and heavy with Bethany. Instead of giving into his desire, Tyler walks away because Bethany has had a few too many. The next day at school, pictures of Bethany are posted all over the internet. The cops get involved and immediately peg Tyler for the crime because of his record. This is a story of self discovery, being a teenager, and constantly being the "bad" child. Although Tyler's voice was at times very raunchy, readers were able to get a feel for how he was feeling. Plus, if you looked at the surrounding cast, Tyler had a lot of issues he needed to figure out. My 8th grade boys loved it. That could also be because the underlying talks of sex were very clear. Either way, boys will get sucked in because it is finally a 'boy' book.
These are two excellent reads that any young adult could get into. Plus they are quick reads, so it is possible for students to do an independent book project on them in a short time. Great books. I definitely recommend them to adults as well. Who doesn't want to know what a 16 year old is thinking?

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhhhhh I loved these books. And yes, the minds of us 16 year old boys are very alluring. lol.

    ReplyDelete