Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I Suppose Now, I Must Become More Than Either

I admit, I was late to the party on this one. Divergent by Veronica Roth was the next craze after The Hunger Games, and I did read a chapter before leaving it. Seriously- why does that always happen? I ended up seeing the movie first, too...MAJOR faux pas! It's like I fell asleep at the wheel for a second. But not to worry, I am back on track. I gave myself a stern talking to because this book should not have taken me this long to figure out.

Tris is an a futuristic society that is divided into five factions. These factions were created to maintain balance and give everyone a place and a set job in order to keep the peace and harmony. Once sixteen, all teenagers are given a test to determine what faction best suits them, then they can choose. Tris, born Abnegation (the selfless faction), is unsure of her future. But once her tests are inconclusive- her confusion is even more profound. These results, however prove that she is more than "normal"; she is divergent. Her and her brother, Caleb, both choose out of Abnegation, which stirs up the pot for the government officials in this faction.

Dauntless, the protector faction, sends Tris through training in fighting, facing fears, and bravery. However, the more Tris improves her rank, the more she begins to feel in danger because of her inconclusive tests results. She is warned by those who know about her this label is a curse and can prove to be her end. As the months go by, Tris begins to discover hidden plots by one of the factions to overthrow the government. She also begins to feel more at ease in her new home- especially once her trainer, Four, begins to enter her thoughts. Whatever happiness she finds, she is still drawn to her former faction, considering they are in such trouble now. But once the rebellion begins to break out, Tris realizes that her "divergent" status may be the only thing that can save them all.
I went to the book store last weekend because I was sad. Yes, book stores make me happy, judge me. So I bought Divergent and began reading. I finished the book in four days. I cannot express how incredible this book is. The book focuses on one faction's leader beginning a spark of rebellion. Tris, and the others labeled "Divergent" don't realize how much power they truly have in this war. You can see Tris becoming a strong woman throughout the training process, and she makes a lot of decisions readers are on board with.
The idea of the factions is much like the districts in The Hunger Games. But each one has their own goal to protect the balance. The romance, the training, and the power are all connected so well in this world, that it's impossible to read this book and not want to immediately finish the rest of the story.
I think readers can also relate to this dystopic society more than Katniss Everdeen's story, which is so not a popular statement. Both stories are so similar, but you can see the differences between each society, and you can see each of the heroines with difficult decisions in the end. Katniss is more emotionless; Tris has so much emotion, so it's easier to relate.
AND the movie wasn't so bad! I thought it worked really well along side the novel- plus holy crap can we just talk about Four for a second? The good looking bad boy? I mean DEFINITELY an upgrade from Peeta. And I am completely Team Peeta!

Worth it. Read it. End of story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment