Monday, October 31, 2011

Fallen and Please....don't get up

Okay, so that may be a little harsh. Because the district I am working in does not believe in giving visitors a user password for the computers, it appears I have been getting a lot of reading done. This one, The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate, quickly because a gym read. The writing was like Halloween chocolate, addicting to the point where you have to have more. But, also like Halloween chocolate, it's completely unnecessary and cavity prone. 
Natalie Hargrove is top of the heap at Palmetto High School. She and boyfriend, Mike, should be a shoo-in for Prince and Princess of the school dance. However, Mike doesn't seem as enthusiastic as Nat, and she's afraid he'll lose to her enemy, Justin. Apparently, Justin and Nat have history that she doesn't want aired, and winning that crown with Mike would put all her worry aside. The two play a senseless prank on Justin, which leads to an accidental death. Black mail, guilt, and Natalie's dark past begin to become more exposed. Can she still be on top when madness is unraveling her good name?
I just didn't like it. It is typical teenage girl over obsessed with prom. Her every move is dictated by becoming princess and making other people see her as head bitch. I got so tired of her constantly ordering her boyfriend around and making him care about this dance that means nothing. Mike is such a push-over. I mean grow a pair, dude. Every little thing she says he starts to object, then because he has no backbone, he gives in. The prank with Justin was one instance. Throughout the book she convinces him to blackmail and lie to everyone because she is so worried about their reputation. Whenever he does make a decision on his own, she gets upset and pouts because it's not her decision. The characters all seem like self centered typical rich kids who are used to getting their way. They are used to having huge parties with tons of alcohol and under age drinking, getting endless amounts of drugs, having sex, and being the popular kids in school. The story line just seemed so shallow that I never really ended up liking it. I felt like I needed to finish it just because.
I think what interested me about the book was the back cover; it said based on themes from Macbeth. I can definitely see Natalie as Lady Macbeth, but it was so loose that I am upset they even made reference to the classic play. I feel if the author had worked the idea of Macbeth into the story more it would have been more entertaining. Sure the characters resembled those from the play, but it was a stretch. It's difficult to get past the shallow plot in order to even consider the Macbeth reference. The one thing I did like about the book was Natalie's past and the history she had with Justin is revealed during the last chapter of the book. It made sense why she hated him so much, but it also showed readers how drawn to him she was. I can't even say I wished the author had revealed this earlier because it wouldn't have made a difference, really. This book has three freakin' covers! Why? All pretty, but I mean come on.
I read Kate's Fallen a few months back too. It was so similar to Halo that I just couldn't find any reason to read more. Don't get me wrong, it was okay, but I feel like the heroine was so wimpy. A fallen angel falls for her, rescues her, and tries to protect her from the evil doers. I feel like we've read it before. I haven't read the other two in the saga because I just don't care enough. The covers are very pretty, yes, but I just didn't care enough about the main character or the story. Even though Halo came out a year after Fallen, I just think I liked the idea of the story better. They're pretty much the same, I guess you just have to take your pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment