Monday, October 17, 2011

Trust No One

After reading a lot of paranormal and paranormal romance, I felt I should break free from the pack. I happened to be looking at new releases on good reads, which to be honest is the only time I use that site, and I came across Variant by Robinson Wells. The book caught my eye, so I decided to check it out. And yes, it is always nice to have something different than a good vs. evil cutsy love theme.
Benson Fisher has bounced around foster homes and schools his entire seventeen year existence. He finds Maxfield Academy and hopes that this boarding school will be different from the rest. He didn't expect it to be this different. Upon walking in, Benson discovers the school contains no adults and no authoritative powers. The daily schedule for the day all depends on the video monitor, whom the students call Iceman. Benson is told there is a huge stone wall trapping the students, and no one ever leaves. When his questions aren't answered by the bright, peppy tour guide, Becky, Benson seeks the truth from the rest of the student body. He finds that the students have split themselves into three gangs: Society who enforce and follow every rule, Havoc who are extremely violent and like nothing more than testing the rules, and Variant who are in-between. Upon joining his gang, Benson's urge to escape is heightened, but other members assure him that there is no way out, and people who have tried to escape never return. A few weeks in and Benson discovers the secret hidden at the school's core. Perhaps surviving and escaping are both impossible feats.
I loved it! The twist was interesting, and it kept me craving more. I can see teenagers connecting with Benson because although he is the typical troubled tough guy, his will to survive and escape are so overwhelmingly real. The writing captivated me, and I couldn't stop reading. The concept of the three gangs is great because it pins students against each other. Every gang takes care of their own, and each gang is in charge of some civic duty around campus, which gives access to certain doors and locks.The members of all three groups have distinct characteristics to the point where the reader knows which group people are in without mention. Very cool concept and it played very nicely with the "no way out" image of the school.
I know the book just came out, but I have high expectations for the second. For his first book, Wells hit a real hop topic with this one. If you're looking for a book to break away from the usual Twilighty love stories, pick this book up. Definitely worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment