Monday, October 3, 2011

Hold Me Closer, Tiny Dancer

The only thought one can possibly have when looking at the title of this book! Music, books, and I should form our own little club and just elope together. We'd make a very good threesome ;).
Onto the pressing issue: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride was a truly fun read. You know you are in for ride when the author titles their book after a Elton John song.
Sam is content with his life. Sure he doesn't have the best job, he doesn't have a girlfriend, and he dropped out of college, but he's got his mediocre life. He's satisfied with his minimum wage fry cook job, and he has friends who make it all worth while. But after a prank catches the eye of Douglas Montgomery things start to turn for the worst. Turns out, Douglas is a cash collecting necromancer who notices Sam's ability. Sam discovers he is a necromancer too, and Douglas asks him to join him in doing evil. Even though he is reluctant, Sam knows how violent Douglas is and the high ranking necromancer doesn't seem to care who he hurts to get what he wants. Sam is soon thrown into, literally, a decision that could take his life and those who he cares about. He meets an interesting cast of characters, who all have something different and paranormal about them. This includes Brid, a hybrid werewolf/hound, whom Sam notices immediately because of her lack of clothing and good looks. Sam also discovers a power inside himself that no one could have imaged.
There are many things I absolutely loved about this book. One thing that's great is there are many points of view. Sam's story is told from first person, but the rest is in third person. I find it really interesting when stories change perspective because sometimes I just don't want to hear a whiny teenage brat for 350 pages. However, Sam is anything but the typical "oh no I just was told I have magical powers, now I hate everything" character.
Second thing great about this book:  The main character is actually really funny. He is the wise-cracking skater boy who could care less. I was laughing out loud during many parts of this book. Yes, this did result in a few "weirdo" stares from co-workers in the lunch room. The banter between Sam and Brid is really fun to read, plus Sam's best friend, Ramon, is quick witted and just as wise-cracking as Sam. Altogether, the characters fit very well together. McBride managed to create a humorous paranormal novel rather than a paranormal romance, which was nice to read.
The third thing I really liked was the chapters were all titles of songs. It made sense that the title of the book was an Elton John song because the entire book played with the idea of song titles that directed the chapter's activity. And you know, it worked very well. I admit I had to look up a few just to make sure I was right on my theory, but it is a very clever way of writing. And it was neat because, like I said, the title highlighted what the chapter would be about. I was looking forward to reaching the end of every chapter because I wasn't sure what would come next.
Overall it was a great read. It was refreshing because the book did not center around a paranormal romance, or a fairy tale ending. The ending leaves readers stranded with a few unanswered questions, but it worked. McBride says she will be writing a sequel. It would be kinda neat to see the story continued, but I can honestly say that if she doesn't I wouldn't be disappointed. Unless another character takes the lead I cannot see a sequel going too well. This is only because it seems Sam's journey is over. Sure he still has some loose ends to tie up, but I can't see that taking another 350 pages and being entertaining the entire time. Maybe I'll just look like a giant cynic when her book comes out and is amazing. I can hope for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment